Planning a pool party? Your guests will love these fabulous pool-side snacks.
Beet Greens Bruschetta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped beet greens
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- salt, to taste
- 2 ounces asiago cheese, grated
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until it’s soft and transparent.
- Add the beet greens, tomato, garlic, salt, crushed red pepper and basil to the pan Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the greens are wilted.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with the slices of French bread. Toast the bread for 3-5 minutes, until just starting to crisp. Remove from oven.
- Divide the beet greens mixture evenly among the toasts, spooning onto each one. Sprinkle with the asiago and parmesan.
- Return the pan to the oven and toast for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese just starts to look melty.
NOTE: The beet green mixture can be made up to a day in advance.
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled, seeded and cubed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Use a fork to mash until creamy, but with some chunkiness remaining.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
- 2 pints grape tomatoes.
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 1 bunch fresh basil (look for large leaves).
- olive oil.
- sea salt.
- Using toothpicks, skewer 1 grape tomato followed by a mozzarella chunk wrapped with a large basil leaf. Continue, until all the ingredients have been used.
- Drizzle the tray with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Also: All About Radishes