[Crunch and Colors Combine for a Filling Salad] Are you a fan of leafy green kale? Then you’ll love this salad and its citrusy dressing.
Kale salad is a hearty dish to serve, and this recipe for kale, jicama and avocado salad with orange vinaigrette is no exception. Kale is a great veggie to toss up and serve in a salad. It’s flavorful, super nutritious, and its sturdy leaves hold up to whatever you feel like tossing with it.
If you haven’t yet used kale as the base of your salad, wait no more. To soften up the kale a bit, add the dressing to the prepped kale, and gently massage it with your hands for just a few minutes. It really works. Finally, fold in the remaining ingredients — the jicama adds great crunch and the avocado adds creaminess — and serve to the delight of your guests.
Kale, jicama and avocado salad with orange vinaigrette Recipe
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- Zest from half an orange
- 3/8 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 pound smooth-leaf kale (like Dinosaur or Lacinato), washed and dried
- 1/3 cup jicama, cut into matchstick pieces
- 2 small avocados, peeled, pit removed and cut into cubes
- Optional: Orange slices for garnish
- Add the orange juice, zest, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper into a small bowl. Whisk until combined and a bit creamy. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Set aside.
- Cut the leaf of the kale away from the center rib. Discard rib. To cut the kale into bite-sized pieces, cut the leaves into small ribbons by placing 3 to 4 leaves on top of each other and rolling them up. Cut thin strips, then cut them in half.
- Add the kale to a large bowl. Whisk the vinaigrette, then pour it over the kale. Toss to mix. Use your hand to gently massage the kale leaves and the dressing for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the jicama and avocado to the bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Serve on individual plates with orange slices as garnish.