These lime bars are a delicious, sweet and tangy twist on lemon bars. Lime bars are sweet, tangy and taste just like spring in a cookie. These are also a terriffic treat to serve on each day, when everyone loves a little green on their plate.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 3/4 cup shelled pecans
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cans, 28-ounces, sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
Directions for crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with melted butter; line bottom with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides.
- In a food processer, finely grind pecans with coconut, graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and lime zest; blend in butter; press mixture into bottom and 1-inch up sides of prepared pan; bake until lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes; cool crust for about 30 minutes.
Directions for filling:
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and condensed milk; add lime juice and whisk until smooth; pour filling into cooled crust, carefully spread to edges.
- Bake until just set, about 15 to 20 minutes; cool in pan, then chill at least 1 hour before serving.
- Using parchment paper overhang, lift out of pan and transfer to cutting board; with a serrated knife, cut into squares.