[Pumpkin and Kale Add Flavor, Color and Texture to the Standard Lasagna] This recipe for lasagna makes use of a delicately spiced pumpkin filling, layers of delicious and nutritious kale and lots of cheese. It’s unique and perfect for a fall meal.
Pumpkin and Kale Lasagna Recipe
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 bunch kale, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided use
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pure pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs, divided use
- 2 cups fresh ricotta
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 box no-boil flat lasagna
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a large pot and add salt. Cook the kale for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the squash, stir, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken stock and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. All the stock should be absorbed and the squash should be lightly browned and tender. Remove from the heat.
- Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in another medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk and season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg.
- Cook until slightly thickened (the sauce should just coat the back of the spoon evenly without breaking up on the spoon’s surface).
- Whisk together the pumpkin puree, 2 eggs and some salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the ricotta, half the Parmigiano-Reggiano and the remaining egg.
- Soak the lasagna sheets in water for 5 minutes.
- Pour about half the sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 11-inch baking dish.
- Add a layer of lasagna sheets and then half the pumpkin mixture.
- Make another layer of lasagna sheets and spread with all of the ricotta mixture, followed by the squash and then escarole.
- Top with half the mozzarella, another layer of lasagna sheets, the remaining pumpkin and another layer of lasagna sheets.
- Finish with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano and mozzarella.
- Bake the lasagna, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees F and continue to bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes more.
- Let rest for 15 minutes, then cut and serve.