This french toast recipe is a great way to fulfill that fall flavor that everyone craves.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 French bread loaf, Slice off 8 pieces (you can use regular loaf bread if you like)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, put a baking sheet in oven.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt in a large baking dish until smooth.
- Add the pumpkin puree, ground spices, milk, 1/4 cup of the heavy cream, vanilla, and rum; whisk until smooth.
- Put 4 slices of the bread in the ‘custard’ mixture and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Carefully turn over the slices and let sit until the bread is completely soaked through.
- While the bread is soaking, heat 3 tablespoons of the butter and 1 tablespon of the oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Cook the 4 slices of the bread until golden brown on the bottom.
- Flip over and continue cooking until the bottom is golden brown.
- Remove to the baking sheet to keep warm.
- wipe out pan with paper towel and repeat process.
- Place French toast on a serving platter and sprinkle with confectioners sugar if desired.