New job amid layoff rumors or stick with current flexible employer?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • #94606 Reply

      So my work just announced that they are planning a layoff and I feel like my team will be affected. However they will need to give us some notice and time to wrap up things. From what I hear, combined with good severance package, I might have close to a year before I actually need to find a new job if I get laid off.

      Here is a kicker and my dilemma. I have been at this company for a long time and have seen people come and go. I heard that there’s this other company that a lot of my old coworkers ended up going. I contacted one of them , and was told that they have an immediate opening that they just posted and I will be a good fit to the team. The job description, salary, and benefit is very comparable. Sounds like half the company is my old coworkers and I got along with everyone. I am at the high end of their salary range, so I’m not sure if I will get any increase with this opportunity

      What would you do?
      I love my current job, company, boss, and coworkers. The biggest thing is that they are so flexible that it helps tremendously since I have kids. I hear the new company is flexible too, but I’m not sure of the extent. We don’t know if we will actually be laid off yet. But I feel like if I wait until we find out for sure, the new position will be more competitive because it was just posted and I’m sure my coworkers will also apply. The severance package is attractive, but am I just prolonging the inevitable? Or should I chance it and stay? Even if I survived this layoff, the structure will change and I might not be working with current colleagues. If I do get the new job and my current team end up not getting laid off, would I regret that I left?

      #94607 Reply

        I would at least talk to the other company and ask about your concerns on flexibility with kids, etc. You might even get an offer with a nice bump in pay. As cold as this sounds, your company does not really care about you. You leaving might actually save someone else’s job.

        #94608 Reply

          No way to know until you actually apply!

          You may not receive an offer from the new company. Until you do, these are all just hypotheticals. Submit your application and make decisions based on the outcome.

          #94609 Reply

            Go with the other job. Staying with uncertainty will only hurt you in the end. But look for better opps once you’re at that new employment cuz there might be something better out there.

            And leaving your current job might help the company keep all those still there if you’re at a high salary now. They may not replace you to save $ to pay them.

            Suggested: Does anyone have recommendations for part-time employment that still pays decent, $80-$110k?

            #94610 Reply

              Apply for the other position and get the process started. Worst case they don’t even call you. It takes a while to hire people and part way through the process you may be let go or decide you aren’t interested in the new job.

              Just start, you have nothing to lose.

              #94611 Reply

                Apply for the other role and go through the process. Some places it takes 4 weeks plus for interviews.

                If offer manifest then you have decision to make. Best case scenario you get severance payout for year and new job if timing is ideal.

                #94612 Reply

                  Having been through multiple work force reductions from a major communications company, I can tell you those are never fun. If there is no reason to stay like if one more year you get a pension or benefits for life, it is always best to go out on your terms instead of theirs.

                  Companies show no loyalty to employees anymore, the golden watch theory is done. Leave on your terms and enjoy life.

                  Preferred: Which soft skills do you find most valuable in an employee as an employer?

                  #94613 Reply

                    I would talk to your supervisor and flat out ask them. Tell them how you feel and that you want to stay, but don’t want to risk losing another opportunity if you’re about to be laid off.

                    #94614 Reply

                      It takes time to interview etc and there’s too many unknowns. Work on eliminating the unknowns. Update your resume and apply for the job, but you don’t need to rush the process. You should know by the time they want to offer you the position if you like the company and if you are going to be let go by your other company.

                      I would certainly strive to get that severance check though if it’s for a full year.

                      That’s just leaving money on the table if it just means a week or two.

                      #94615 Reply

                        I’ve been in your situation. If you feel certain that you will get the new position, I’d be very upfront with your current employer and ask if you are on the list. Watch for subtle signs in the response should they not be 100% honest with you. OR, if they respond were not sure (like another poster shared), I would “bounce” especially if you have numerous working years still ahead of you.

                        If you have a morsel of another job opportunity in this current workforce reduction going on across the board in this country, consider yourself a lucky one. So ask, and see what they say.

                        My inclination though is to “bounce”.

                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      Reply To: New job amid layoff rumors or stick with current flexible employer?
                      Your information:

                      Spread the love