[These Meatless Burgers Will Even Make Meat Eaters Happy] These meat-free burgers are not only delicious, they are loaded with fresh veggies such as sweet potatoes making them a fantastic idea for picky eaters or those looking for a meatless option.
Being married to a vegetarian has definitely rubbed off on me in the kitchen. Before I met my husband, I was not familiar with the vegetarian lifestyle or how easy it was to enjoy meals without meat in them. Over the years I have adapted to a vegetarian lifestyle and for anyone who is new or looking to cut back on the amount of meat in their diet, this recipe is a great place to start.
Black Bean Sweet Potato Burgers Recipe
These easy meatless burgers are loaded with protein-rich black beans, fresh sweet potatoes and seasonings. Blended in a food processor, they are then formed and baked into a healthy meat-free vegetarian-friendly burger.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
Yields 6-8 burgers depending on size
For the burgers
- 1 large organic sweet potato, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup minced sweet onions
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 slices whole grain bread
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh buns or rolls
- Cheese (optional)
- Condiments of choice (ketchup, mustard, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With a knife or a fork, gently prick the sweet potato all over and place on a microwave-safe plate.
- Cook on high 5 to 6 minutes or until the sweet potato is very soft. Remove from the microwave and allow to cool.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat adding the olive oil, mushrooms and the sweet onions. Sauté 5 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft.
- To a food processor, add the cooked sweet potato, the sautéed mushrooms, onions and the remaining ingredients for the burgers.
- Pulse the ingredients until they are blended to desired consistency.
- Remove the bowl from the food processor and begin shaping the mixture into patties. Place the formed patties on the baking sheet.
- Bake the burgers for 20 to 25 minutes or until very firm. Remove from the oven and place on buns or rolls and top with desired fixings. Best served immediately.