I’m not a huge fan of overly trendy dishes. They’re often made with obscure ingredients and aren’t exactly something normal people eat (like my picky husband). However, the Halloumi train is one I’m more than happy to hop on board and never get off. This gourmet Middle Eastern cheese is salty and chewy and completely to die for. It’s a trend I hope never goes away.
My favorite part about this cheese is that you can grill it without making a melty or gooey mess. In fact, it holds its shape better than some meats or even fish! You can serve this on top of pasta, in a pita or enjoy it this way, grilled fresh and topped with summer produce and even more cheese.
Grilled Halloumi with fresh mint, feta and olives Recipe
Serves about 4 (2 slices of cheese each)
- 1 (9 ounce) package Halloumi
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 8 teaspoons feta cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives
- Fresh mint sprigs
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- Balsamic vinegar for drizzle
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Brush the grill with olive oil.
- Add the Halloumi and grill on both sides until browned with dark grill lines (about 3 to 4 minutes on each side). Remove from heat and immediately top with fresh mint, kalamata olives (about 1 tablespoon per slice of cheese) and 1 teaspoon of feta cheese. Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and a drizzle of balsamic.