Almost any shape watermelon will work for this project. It makes a spectacular centerpiece for a baby shower.
Chef Harvey Rosen, author of the most comprehensive series of garnishing books ever compiled, created this spectacular fruit salad filled watermelon centerpiece for the National Watermelon Promotion Board (who shared the instructions with us). Almost any shape watermelon will work for this project. It makes a spectacular centerpiece for a baby shower.
You will need:
- Sharp Pointed Utensil
- Sharp Knife
- Large Spoon
- Orange Slices
melon baller and V shaped cutting tool, optional*
Serves: A Lot!.
- Cut a thin slice from the bottom to provide a stable base.
- Draw the outlines for the carriage as shown in the pattern image.
- Use a sharp knife to cut out the section to be used for the handle. Cut all the way through the rind.
- Use a decorating tool or knife to cut the fancy edges of the carriage.
- Remove the top section of rind.
- Hollow the carriage and attach the handle with toothpicks.
- Attach wheels made from orange slices and hubcaps made from strawberries and kiwis.
- Fill the carriage with approx. 4 cups of fruit salad.
Take a look at: How to Peel and Devein Shrimp